Thursday, February 09, 2006

"The human voice can never reach the distance that is covered by the still small voice of conscience. " - Gandhi


As I was chatting with a friend yesterday, I wished him good night..He said "it is morning here"..I am sure this a common occurrence. But what struck me later on is how I responded to that. I told him, "I know" - which is a fact, and then " my parents live in India "....I mean, what did I ever want to mean by that ? I think it is too complex. But I guess because I am far away from India (physically) I try to find out ways of belonging to India even more closely. By talking about patriotism more, talking about India's problems more, posting comments on news websites more -- it is almost sad how I try to 'belong' there. I have never followed Indian news as closely as I do it now. I agree with Gandhi that it is not my 'voice' but my conscience that can do the magic but I am still a petty mortal. I am aware that I belong there. I am positive. Strange !! ..What distance does to people ? And - I shall rest my case here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i so agree with what you have written out here. i was never so bengali or so pro-dada till the time i spent in noida.
fish suddenly became fantastic, i started reading bengali novels, rabindrasangeet was listened to and appreciated with more ardour than ever before, anything faintly reminiscent or apparently familiar to the way "things are back home" became of gigantic importance!
all the "bong"ness took a big slide once we got back hom and we got back to being the way we were...
point of all the ranting being - it's ok... u want to feel connected even when u're not "there", u desperately want to experience that supposedly mundane memory again while still not being "there"
it's then that u understand why something like "abar aashibo phire" and get u bleary eyed!!
hahahahahaha
reading zadie smith's "on beauty" now - lovely book.
tk care & tata

7:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home